Wonderland

My personal space to roam...freely

Friday, February 13, 2009

Ice Storm in NW Arkansas

It started Tuesday, 27 January for about a week!

It was awful. It was the worst ice storm Arkansas had seen in a very long time. No power in some parts for a week and up to 2 weeks after that. It was sleek and dangerous. So many trees were destroyed or simply lost several limbs. Everything took on a diamond-like quality for a while...you know, all white and shimmery.

Our neighborhood - it was like a ghost town


The willow tree near the pond in front of our house just bent over from the weight of the ice.
The trees looked pitiful
While the grass shimmered
Most trees looked like they had diamonds on their branches
Power lines were down
The roads were a mess
The streams all looked white
Aaron's truck was part covered in ice. Fortunately we park his car outside our garage because it is difficult to have both his truck and my car in at the same time. That was a good thing because my car was stuck in the garage, and since I didn't know that you could disable the electric power trigger and manually lift up the garage door, we had to use Aaron's car to run all our errands (which mostly comprised eating out, since there was no power to run our electric cooker).


We finally escaped to civilization in Oklahoma. They too had suffered a serious snow storm but had thawed out most of the roads and had electricity. We went to my aunt's home on Friday and returned to Arkansas on Sunday. By then, there was electricity in our neck of the town.My cousins - Samgwa'a & Samgella My aunt - Ma Angeline
With my sweetheart

2 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my God is this real!! Wow. I heard about the snow storm but always assume in my head that you are far away from it. Mamamiyeh!!! That is some snow! It does look beautiful ... but did much harm. And no electricity? In that kind of cold!! Na which kind baluck this? Nature is sometimes not kind!

    - Sahar

     
  • At 8:45 AM , Blogger Ambe said...

    Tell me about it. Fortunately we have a gas fireplace and were able to keep the house warm that way. People who don't have gas-operated fireplaces and rely only their central heating were in for a rough time.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home